I had deep fried chickpeas at a restaurant a few months back, and this recipe absolutely recreates the amazing flavour but without the deep fryer. Thanks again to the Oh She Glows cookbook by Angela Liddon.
15 ounces canned or cooked chickpeas, drained
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 fine-grain sea salt – or to taste
- Place chickpeas and vinegar in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat. Some of the skins will fall off during this process, but don’t worry. Cover the pan and let the chickpeas soak in the vinegar for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain chickpeas, shaking off any excess vinegar.
- Toss the chickpeas in olive oil, and spread on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place the baking sheet with the chickpeas in the oven. After about 20 minutes shake the pan gently to roll the chickpeas around. Roast for 10-15 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes to harden.